GOVERNANCE QUALITY, MARKET STRUCTURE AND INNOVATION:

AN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE

9 – 10 September 2011

CALL FOR PAPERS

The relationship between innovation and economic governance institutions is a relatively under-studied area of research. This has been the case despite extensive work on the relationship between governance quality and other economic outcomes such as growth, investment, and income distribution. In addition, potential synergies that may result from combining economic governance, market structure (i.e., level of competition), relational governance and network structures remain to be explored. Given this state of affairs, we aim to bring together innovative research papers that explore the relationship between innovation (measured through inputs or outputs at macro- or micro-level), economic/corporate/relational governance, and networks structures. We hope that the work to be presented at the conference could contribute to the literature in two ways: (i) bringing an economic/corporate/relational governance perspective into the analysis of innovation at macro- or firm-level; and (ii) exploring the ways in which governance quality/structures may interact with networks to influence innovation at macro- or firm-level.

 The themes that can be addressed include, but are not necessarily limited to the following:

·         The relationship between the quality of economic governance institutions (EGI) and innovation performance at country level

·         The relationship between the quality of EGI and innovation performance at the level of regions/clusters

·         The relationship between the quality of corporate governance institutions (CGI) and innovation performance at firm level

·         How does market structure and/or network structures affect the level of innovation at country level?

·         How does market structure and/or network structures affect the level of innovation at firm level?

·         How do internal governance structures of global industries (e.g. buyer’s imposition and enforcement of product specification) affect the firms’ innovation effort?

·         How do external governance structures of global industries (mandatory and voluntary environmental and social standards) affect the firms’ innovation effort?

·         How can we analyse the interaction between economic/corporate/relational governance, market structure and network structures; and how can we relate such interaction to innovation outcomes?

·         Which dimensions of economic/relations/corporate governance quality tend to be more effective on the level of innovation? Does the variation in effect depend on network structures/dynamics?

·         Does the relationship between innovation, governance, market structure and networks differ between different country groups and/or between industries?

We welcome papers addressing any of these themes, utilising appropriate theoretical/analytical frameworks and empirical methodologies. We also welcome papers utilising different measures of governance quality, market structure and innovation. We aim to publish the conference proceedings as a special journal issue or as en edited book.

We look forward to receiving your proposals. To facilitate processing and help with ensuring fairness, please limit your proposal to 300 words maximum. Please state the research question, the method of analysis/estimation, and the type of data/evidence to be used. Also, please provide a maximum of 4 keywords, followed by 4 JEL codes that correspond or are relevant to the keywords.

Key dates:

Deadline for proposal submission                              : 3 April 2011

Notification of editorial committee decisions            : 18 April 2011

Submission of draft papers                                         : 22 August 2011

Conference date                                                         : 9 – 10 September 2011

Dr Bruce Cronin MA MSc PhD MCMI

Reader in Economic Sociology

Head of the Department of International Business

Director of the Centre for Business Network Analysis

University of Greenwich Business School

Park Row, London SE10 9LS

Ph: +44(0)20-8331-9786

Fax: +44(0)20-8331-9005

Centre for Business Network Analysis:

www.gre.ac.uk/schools/business/consulting/centre for business_network_analysis

University of Greenwich, a charity and company limited by guarantee, registered in England (reg. no. 986729).
Registered office: Old Royal Naval College, Park Row, Greenwich, London SE10 9LS.