***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** The deadlines for applications to PhD programs at US universities are typically in November and December. Your search for a PhD program should be guided first and foremost by identifying faculty mentors whose work most closely aligns with your own research interests. Second, you should identify what academic disciplines your work draws most heavily upon. There is research in online social networks by scholars of computer science, communication studies, sociology, social psychology, statistics, information & library sciences, organizational & management studies, marketing, and so on. Social network research is obviously an interdisciplinary field, but there are distinct intellectual and theoretical traditions between and within each of these you should keep in mind when applying for programs -- a data miner may find out too late that a program emphasizing cultural studies may not be an ideal fit.

Best,
Brian