Apologies for the spam, but a few more thoughts:

Garry Robins has a really nice 2009 article that describes the multilevel
processes operating in covert organizations:
Robins, G. (2009). Understanding individual behaviors within covert
networks: The interplay of individual qualities, psychological
predispositions, and network effects. Trends in organized crime, 12, 166
187.

Hsinchun Chen's group at Arizona operates the Dark Web portal mining jihadi
discussion boards. http://ai.arizona.edu/research/terror/

Finally, if you'll permit me to toot my own horn, our team has published
some research linking structure and dynamics of clandestine organizations
doing "money laundering" in an online game to an offline drug trafficking
network.
http://northwestern.academia.edu/BrianKeegan/Papers/191042/Dark_Gold_Statistical_Properties_of_Clandestine_Networks_in_Massively_Multiplayer_Online_Games

http://northwestern.academia.edu/BrianKeegan/Talks/34714/Using_P_ERG_Models_to_Map_Online_Clandestine_Behavior_to_Offline_Criminal_Activity

--
Brian C. Keegan
Ph.D. Student - Media, Technology, & Society

Science of Networks in Communities, Laboratory for Collaborative Technology