***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Apologies for the spam, but a few more thoughts:

Garry Robins has a really nice 2009 article that describes the multilevel processes operating in covert organizations:
Robins, G. (2009). Understanding individual behaviors within covert networks: The interplay of individual qualities, psychological predispositions, and network effects. Trends in organized crime, 12, 166 – 187.

Hsinchun Chen's group at Arizona operates the Dark Web portal mining jihadi discussion boards. http://ai.arizona.edu/research/terror/

Finally, if you'll permit me to toot my own horn, our team has published some research linking structure and dynamics of clandestine organizations doing "money laundering" in an online game to an offline drug trafficking network.
http://northwestern.academia.edu/BrianKeegan/Papers/191042/Dark_Gold_Statistical_Properties_of_Clandestine_Networks_in_Massively_Multiplayer_Online_Games

http://northwestern.academia.edu/BrianKeegan/Talks/34714/Using_P_ERG_Models_to_Map_Online_Clandestine_Behavior_to_Offline_Criminal_Activity