Over 15 years ago, I had a vendor that we were leaving do the following:

1) Remove box labels, claiming that the labels belonged to them, not us. (I'm
not clear on what they planned to do with the labels, once removed.)
2) Call the new vendor and tell them that boxes were ready for pickup, then tell
the pick up driver that they had no idea what they were there for.
3) Wrap all the pallets with black shrink wrap.
4) Face any identifiers (and the labels once we told them to knock off the
monkey business with the labels) to the inside of pallet stacks.
5) Overstack the pallets so that the lightly loaded bottom boxes were all
crushed.
6) Send us boxes that belonged to other customers, even though they had numbers
in our inventory.
7) Send us boxes that belonged to other customer and were not in our inventory.
8) Fail to send us boxes that had never been checked out and had locations in
their system.

The vendor was not a major vendor. The new vendor's company was less than a mile
away and had been founded by people from the vendor we were leaving, so this was
sort of personal. A very strong letter from the lawyers at my employer convinced
them that they ought to cooperate and play nice.

The sad part (for the vendor we were leaving) was that leaving them was totally
a business decision. Up to that point, we had no issues with them. We had
acquired a company using the old vendor and that contract was month to month. We
already had boxes at the new vendor and we were considering the old vendor for a
new RFP when the contract was up. That didn't happen.

 Patrick Cunningham, CRM, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell