As the subject of distance networks has come up, let me take the
opportunity to suggest that the distances be logged for regression types
of analysis. (I use log10). That is because the increment of a unit at
greater distances isn't as important as at closer distances. That is, a
unit increase to 2 km from 1 is much more important for contact,
collaboration and support than a unit increase to 2001 im from 2000.

The proof is in the pudding and the writing. Ever since the Community
Question paper (1979), the regressions are mor powerful when logged. This
includes studies of internet communication and networked organizations.

Nevertheless, YMMV (literally LOL)

  Barry Wellman