Hi Stephanie,

I join Eric in applauding your enterprise in understanding social
networks within their geographic contexts. However, ArcGIS may be
expensive for your to obtain, and the software has a learning curve that
may be steeper than you need for your work.

I recommend a free, open-source product, which will do 80% of all of the
things 80% of ArcGIS users actually do with that software. It is
MapWindow GIS.

The software can be downloaded at the URL:
http://www.mapwindow.org/

Tutorials to get started are available at the URL:
http://www.mapwindow.org/tutorials/

In your message, you use the phrase "latitude and longitude". Be sure to
keep in mind that in the geospatial world, the phrase is "longitude and
latitude". That is because you are often asked for x,y coordinates, and
it is easy to become confused if you think of the two coordinates in the
wrong order. Also, I assume that you know that the coordinates should be
given in decimal degrees, rather than in the minutes & seconds versions.

We are currently developing a free GIS manual/tutorial for researchers
and teachers in history and the historical social scientists (to use the
phrase of sociologist Immanuel Wallerstein). The exercises can be
completed using any GIS software, but the book will be especially
designed for MapWindow GIS because it is free and easily available,
permitting researchers to try GIS without a big financial investment.

I hope that this information is helpful.
Jack

Dr. J. B. "Jack" Owens, Ph.D.
Director, Geographically-Integrated History Laboratory
Research Professor of History, Idaho State University, USA
Lead PI, SOCNET Project, CDI, NSF (2009-2013)
Co-coordinator, DynCoopNet Project, TECT, ESF/NSF (2007-2010)
Guggenheim Fellow (2005-2006)
National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow (2004-2005)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://idahostate.academia.edu/JBJackOwens