***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Hi Stephanie,

I join Eric in applauding your enterprise in understanding social networks within their geographic contexts. However, ArcGIS may be expensive for your to obtain, and the software has a learning curve that may be steeper than you need for your work.

I recommend a free, open-source product, which will do 80% of all of the things 80% of ArcGIS users actually do with that software. It is MapWindow GIS.

The software can be downloaded at the URL:
http://www.mapwindow.org/

Tutorials to get started are available at the URL:
http://www.mapwindow.org/tutorials/

In your message, you use the phrase "latitude and longitude". Be sure to keep in mind that in the geospatial world, the phrase is "longitude and latitude". That is because you are often asked for x,y coordinates, and it is easy to become confused if you think of the two coordinates in the wrong order. Also, I assume that you know that the coordinates should be given in decimal degrees, rather than in the minutes & seconds versions.

We are currently developing a free GIS manual/tutorial for researchers and teachers in history and the historical social scientists (to use the phrase of sociologist Immanuel Wallerstein). The exercises can be completed using any GIS software, but the book will be especially designed for MapWindow GIS because it is free and easily available, permitting researchers to try GIS without a big financial investment.

I hope that this information is helpful.
Jack

Dr. J. B. "Jack" Owens, Ph.D.
Director, Geographically-Integrated History Laboratory
Research Professor of History, Idaho State University, USA
Lead PI, SOCNET Project, CDI, NSF (2009-2013)
Co-coordinator, DynCoopNet Project, TECT, ESF/NSF (2007-2010)
Guggenheim Fellow (2005-2006)
National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow (2004-2005)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://idahostate.academia.edu/JBJackOwens