Hi - Opps. Of course I meant the Deep Web is hundreds of thousands of
terabytes. Sorry. Time for the weekend... -j

-----Original Message-----
From: John T. Maloney (jheuristic) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 12:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: [SOCNET] Fascinating article on SNA and "dark" networks

Hi - Good paper. BTW, I think 'dark' network may be less PC than 'terrorist
network,' e.g., what do you call an inhabitant of a dark network? Besides
that, and in popular use, a dark network is specifically a un-lite/unused
fiber network. Meanwhile, the 'dark net' or the 'deep Web' are data
unreachable by conventional means and not indexed by popular search engines.
It is the opposite of the 'surface Web.' Darknet is a private file-sharing
network term. So forth and so on. Also, the Deep Web is hundreds of
terabytes, several orders of magnitude larger than the popular Surface Web.
New vocabulary and language is very important to creating meaning and the
network narrative. BTW, I guess the University of Arizona's covers
all-the-bases with its "Dark Web Terrorism Research Program." N.B. Thanks
for sharing.

-j