One note about Sonoma: it uses the GMT package for rendering maps and
ties. This means that you can render your graphs without worrying about
translating spherical coordinates to x,y coordinates. You can submit the
coordinates of your actors via any number of latitude and longitude
formats (decimal or degree:minute:seconds, postiive/engative values, or
East/West coords).

-Manish