From: "Jamie Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Mar 3, 2011 10:33 am
Subject: [SOCNET] Geograpical Coordinates in NetDraw - please help!
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Stephanie,
I just want to add that ORA provides a bit more than just layout with lat/lon.  There are also a variety of exploratory analysis features, including spatial clustering w/feedback and sizing/coloring by network structure statistics.  ORA also contains extensions of several standard network centrality measures that take into account the spatial information.

I think it's great that people have brought up visualization in Google Earth.  ORA also allows export to KML, but I thought I'd mention a problem I've come across.  Google Earth may not provide a truthful rendering of lines at various levels of resolution.  They have a complicated caching process that often results in a sort of flickering as you zoom in and out, which I've found distracting.

I saw that Dr. Owens recommended MapWindow.  I don't have much experience with MapWindow, which seems to be a fine product, but I noticed that it is not a cross-platform tool.  If you need to or would like to work on non-windows systems, there are a number of other open source GIS tools.  I've had about the most success with OpenJUMP, but qgis is also easy to use.

Good luck,
--Jamie

Jamie Olson
School of Computer Science