Dear SOCNET,

I’m working on a project in which we’re preparing to survey employees of federal
natural resource agencies in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho about
science-management communication and collaboration at the interface of forest
fire effects on fish and other aquatic organisms. My colleagues and I hope to
get your advice on threequestions about our proposed on-line survey set up. If
you’re unable to provide feedback on our proposed approach, it would be great if
you could suggest others we might ask.

We’re planningon usinga hybridrecall/recognitionquestionnaire.We’re thinking of
asking a relationship question (e.g., ‘with whom have you collaborated on fish
and fire work?’) and provide a list of blank lines for their answers. Then
repeat for other relationship questions. Then present a roster of names with a
checkbox for each relationship, as well as another set of blank lines to add any
additional names they’ve been prompted to think of that are not on the roster or
the first set of blank lines.Our first question: is this ‘blank
lines-roster-blank lines’ likely to increase naming?We anticipate 300 or more
people beingon our initial list of thoseinvolved in fish and fire work, which we
feel are too many names for either an onlinequestionnaire or a roster for
respondents to peruse. Our secondquestion: is there an established way of
truncating a long list of names?

We’re thinking of making 3 copies/versions of our questionnaire and putting 100
different names on each one, to not only allow respondents to indicate which
people they relate tobut also to prompt them to think of more people to add to
the blank lines. We would randomly assign versions to respondents. Our
thirdquestion: does this seem like a reasonable approach for dealing with the
too-many-names problem?

Many thanks!

 Ken Vance-Borland, Executive Director
The Conservation Planning Institute
"To protect and restore biological diversity through innovative conservation
planning

that is focused on effective implementation"
Tel:(541)231-7949 Email: [log in to unmask] Skype: ken.vance.borland
http://www.conservationplanninginstitute.org/
CPI is an IUCN member organization http://www.iucn.org/