Dear Members of the SocNet List,

I am looking for any papers that have computed* correlations or
regressions*of popular
*centrality network measures* like closeness, degree, eigenvector or
betweeness and the *actual transmission of information*.

So for example I might have

a) a network of friendships of peole and additionally
b) I might have a network that has an arc if a person has forwarded
information from a person.

If I compute a network regression of the actors degree in the friendship
network and the number of how often his information was forwarded I can see
how useful the centrality measures actually are in predicting future
information diffusion for an actor.

I have tried that a couple of times on online friendship networks and the
regression usually ends up having an explanation from common centrality
measures are around 30%. I am wondering if there are similar attempts out
there in order to compare my values and my approach?

I think this question is highly relevant because it actually asks if the
centrality measures we use every day to highlight certain actors in
information diffusion are really usefull.

P.S.
I can also think of computing different measures for brokers between two
communities and the actual transmission or strong ties and their influence
on the actual transmission.

Best Regards
Thomas Plotkowiak

--