Dear All,

I have got a set of networks based on different behaviours from two groups of Olive baboons, that are quite different in size. I would like to compare these networks using p* models, to see if, controlling for the effect of group size, structurally the networks of the two groups are the same. This is following a paper by Faust & Skvoretz (see: http://www.socsci.uci.edu/~kfaust/faust/research/articles/faust_skvoretz_comparing_sm_2002.pdf). Here, a model was fitted to several networks of different sizes, and the p* parameter values were standardised and compared to give an indication of whether the parameters have the same effect in standardised terms accross networks.

However, I understand that there may be some problems with comparing parameter values in this way.

I was wondering if anybody can offer some advice regarding the use of standardised parameter values, or if there is another way in which I can compare these networks controlling for group size?

Many thanks!

Nienke
________________________________

Nienke Alberts

Centre for Research in Evolutionary Anthropology

Roehampton University

Holybourne Avenue

London, SW15 4JD

Telephone: +44 (0)20 8392 3473

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee and may also be privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee, or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy, disclose or otherwise act upon any part of this email or its attachments.

Internet communications are not guaranteed to be secure or virus-free. Roehampton University does not accept responsibility for any loss arising from unauthorised access to, or interference with, any Internet communications by any third party, or from the transmission of any viruses.

Any opinion or other information in this e-mail or its attachments that does not relate to the business of Roehampton University is personal to the sender and is not given or endorsed by Roehampton University.

Roehampton University is a company limited by guarantee incorporated in England under number 5161359. Registered Office: Grove House, Roehampton Lane, London SW15 5PJ. An exempt charity.