Nothing yet from Complexity digest this week, but here's the abs of a new
article from the new Social Networks & Mining journal

  Barry Wellman

Social Network Analysis and Mining
DOI: 10.1007/s13278-011-0021-0Online First™

Original Article
A systematic approach to the one-mode projection of bipartite graphs

Katharina Anna Zweig and Michael Kaufmann

     * Volume 1
           o 73-142Number 2 / April 2011
           o 1-72Number 1 / January 2011

Abstract
Bipartite graphs are common in many complex systems as they describe a
relationship between two different kinds of actors, e.g., genes and
proteins, metabolites and enzymes, authors and articles, or products and
consumers. A common approach to analyze them is to build a graph between
the nodes on one side depending on their relationships with nodes on the
other side; this so-called one-mode projection is a crucial step for all
further analysis but a systematic approach to it was lacking so far. Here,
we present a systematic approach that evaluates the significance of the
co-occurrence for each pair of nodes v, w, i.e., the number of common
neighbors of v and w. It turns out that this can be seen as a special case
of evaluating the interestingness of an association rule in data mining.
Based on this connection we show that classic interestingness measures in
data mining cannot be applied to evaluate most real-world product-consumer
relationship data. We thus introduce generalized interestingness measures
for both, one-mode projections of bipartite graphs and data mining and
show their robustness and stability by example. We also provide
theoretical results that show that the old method cannot even be used as
an approximative method. In a last step we show that the new
interestingness measures show stable and significant results that result
in attractive one-mode projections of bipartite graphs.