***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Hi all,

Piggy-backing on the current thread on network (mis)perception, I wanted to ask whether anyone can recommend literature that addresses third-party perceptions of social networks.  By "third-party" I mean observers of the social network of interest who themselves do not have stakes in the network.  So an example might be the public's perceptions of the organizational relationships amongst stakeholders in a public policy network, advocacy network or "issue network".

I've come across one or two pieces on third-party perceptions of romantic relationships and another piece by Simpson, Markovsky, and Steketee (in press), which takes an experimental approach to evaluating the role that power plays in perceptual accuracy amongst subjects who are considered "third-parties" to the social network.  Other than that, however, I'm coming up empty. It could be that I'm not using the right keywords.  So any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Lindsay

--