From: Binford,Michael W.
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 10:08 AM
To: . CLAS-Geography-Grads; . CLAS-Geography-Faculty; . CLAS-Geography-Staff; Humphrey,Stephen R; Osenberg,Craig W.; Perz,Stephen George; Hayes,John P; Zwick,Paul D; Prizzia,Anna; Holt,Robert D
Subject: Visit and Lecture by Jinguo (Jack) Liu, Rachel Carson Chair in Sustainability, Michigan State University

Dear Colleagues:

Dr. Jack Liu, Rachel Carson Chair in Sustainability, Department of Fisheries and Wildlife and Director of the Center for Systems Integration and Sustainability at Michigan State University, will be on the UF campus this Thursday, April 7, as the first of two Anderson Scholars Lecturers. His bio is below the signature line in this note.

His seminar will be "Coupled Human and Natural Systems: Pandas, People, Policies, and Planet," and be held in Rinker 110 at 3:00 PM on Thursday. He will be available to meet with people all day on Thursday, and we will try to take him out to Payne's Prairie and Alachua Sink on Friday morning. His plane leaves around noon on Friday.

If you would like to meet with Dr. Liu, please let me know ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) and give my your preferred times. I'll work out the optimal schedule and get back with you.

Please see the attached poster, and please pass it around in your unit. The poster has a link to an interesting article from Conservation Magazine that profiles some of Jack's work.

Finally, Dr. Dan Brown of the University of Michigan will be our second Anderson Lecturer on 22 April. Many of you have received Jane Southworth's note, but if you have not, one of us can forward it to you.

Michael W. Binford
Department of Geography
University of Florida
PO Box 117315
Gainesville, FL 32611
www.clas.ufl.edu/users/mbinford

Dr. Jianguo (Jack) Liu is the Rachel Carson Chair in Sustainability and University Distinguished Professor in the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife at Michigan State University (MSU), and is director of the Center for Systems Integration and Sustainability. He has been a guest professor at the Chinese Academy of Sciences and a visiting scholar at Stanford (2001-2002), Harvard (2008), and Princeton (2009). His broad research interests include household-environment interactions, complexity of coupled human and natural systems (CHANS), sustainability science, China's environment, and globalization. He addresses complex human-environmental questions by integrating multiple disciplines such as ecology and social sciences. He is president of the U.S. Regional Association of the International Association for Landscape Ecology (US-IALE), a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Guggenheim Fellow, NSF CAREER Awardee, winner of a Distinguished Service Award from US-IALE and the Aldo Leopold Leadership Fellowship from the Ecological Society of America.