This morning I thought I'd once again head on down to the Big Cypress
Bend Boardwalk in the Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve to see if any
migrants had come in. It's been a pretty pitiful spring migration so
far here in Collier County. For my Collier County Big Year (CCBY), I
still don't have either Red-eyed, Yellow-throated or Black-whiskered
Vireo plus I'm missing many warblers as well as most thrushes, etc.
Anyway, the only warblers I could find on the boardwalk were Northern
Parula and Black-and-white Warbler. All of the resident birds were
there including scads of Great Crested Flycatchers and Gray Catbirds,
but nothing else out of the ordinary. A close encounter with a Barred
Owl was nice plus there is one juvie Bald Eagle still hanging around
the nest. The deer flies were really bad BTW. From there, I decided to
drive to Rookery Bay down Shell Island Rd. to its end, past the former
Brigg's Nature Center, now  an office for the enforcement branch of
the FWC. Along Shell Island Rd. I saw and heard Eastern Towhee as well
as Common Ground Dove (highlights). When I got to the boat ramp at
Henderson Creek/Rookery Bay, I decided to walk the Catclaw Trail
through a mixed mangrove habitat. About 200 yards down the trail, I
played my iPod for Mangrove Cuckoo on a whim. Within a minute, I had a
distant response from a Mangrove Cuckoo and within 30 seconds, it was
perched 20 feet in front of me, singing away. Unfortunately, I had the
wrong lens on my camera so no pictures. Mangrove Cuckoo is #187 for my
CCBY. Other birds seen in the area of the boat ramp included Northern
Waterthrush and Spotted Sandpiper (in full breeding plumage). Next, I
ventured down Collier Blvd. to Marco Island to see if I could find a
Gray Kingbird for my CCBY. I did find one perched in a heavily fruited
Ficus in a small shopping mall at 651 Collier Blvd. CCBY #188. My last
stop was near the Judge Jolly Bridge where I spent a minute or two
glassing the ABC Islands. There were two Magnificent Frigatebirds
flying around as well as the usual nesting Great Egrets, Great Blue
Herons, Ospreys, etc. Even though there were only a few returning
migrants about, it was a good morning birding here in Collier County!

Cheers.

Vince

Vincent P. Lucas
Naples, FL