Subject:  Groove-billed Ani still at Boyd-Hill Nature Preserve on April 10, Sunday [Florida birdPIX].
Hi all:
The Groove-billed Ani was observed again by several folks on April 10, 2011.  I observed and photographed it for a couple of hours from late morning until midafternoon or so.  I last reported on and photographed this bird on March 26th.
By now this Ani is famous among birders here in Tampa Bay.   This bird is only off course by 1300 miles from South Texas, where it normally ranges and breeds.  But then it does show up now and then in the Florida and the northern Gulf of Mexico states during the winter months.
I believe that this ani has been hanging out at Boyed Hill since early this year? There was a Groove-billed Ani reported late November at Lake Seminole Park a mere 15 miles from Boyd-Hill.  Is this the same bird or a second bird reported this season?  The Ani reported at Lake Seminole didn’t hang around very long.  I chased that bird but didn’t have any luck finding it.
This Ani would periodically disappear for several minutes then reappear and get very close to humans. This Ani is one very tame bird.  At one point this bird actually sat on my shoe for a short duration.  Often I was within a foot or so from this guy.  On a couple of occasions I would walk backwards to try to get the complete bird image in my camera frame.  The bird would run towards me making photography difficult.
Groove-billed Ani • 041011 • Boyd-Hill Park, Pinellas Co., FL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/5608108086/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/5607524565/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/5607524497/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/5608107868/