  There is a fine line between belated and irrelevant.  I just wanted to finally get this posted before it became the latter...

During the afternoon of 3/31 I took a trip slightly off the island to Nassauville Road to visit some old haunts.  At a marsh turnoff I heard several CLAPPER RAILS and the only SEASIDE SPARROW of the trip.
  At a turnoff that looked as though it used to be part of a driveway I had an EASTERN PHOEBE and heard my first YELLOW-THROATED VIREO of the year.
  A pond that I had associated with diving ducks during the past few years held only a handful of female-type HOODED MERGANSERS.
  My last stop was a bit of a surprise as the storm clouds rolled in.  This area was Goffinsville Park and a few years ago was nothing more than a crumbling boat ramp.  They've now converted it into a park complete with trails and tree ID tags.  Since this is an area no one birds today, I've once again included the whole list.  Feel free to skim through it.

-6 Forster's Tern
- Laughing Gull
- Fish Crow
-Yellow-rumped Warbler
-2 Great-crested Flycatcher
- Ruby-crowned Kinglet
- Brown Thrasher
- Yellow-throated Warbler
- Pine Warbler
-2 Snowy Egret
-1 Little Blue Heron
- Clapper Rail (several in the Spartina)
- No. Parula
- Cooper's Hawk
-No. Cardinal
-Carolina Wren
-Belted Kingfisher
-Tufted Titmouse
-Eastern Towhee
-Mourning Dove
-Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
-House Finch
-Blue Jay
-Double-crested Cormorant
-Tree Swallow
-Boat-tailed Grackle
-1 Bald Eagle
-Great Egret
-Ring-billed Gull
-Tricolored Heron
-Red-shouldered Hawk

On 4/01 a couple friends and I headed out to Cumberland Island N.S.  On the way we passed through Nassau Co., FL waters and ended up with..

-1 Common Loon (basic)
-40 Am. White Pelican
-Tree Swallow (in the 100's).
-Barn Swallow
-Double-crested Cormorant
-Laughing Gull
-Forster's Tern
-2 Bald Eagle

The morning of 4/02 was spent at the Ft. Clinch River Camping Area.  Species included AM. GOLDFINCH, a flock of 30 flyover adult WHITE IBIS, and a single NO. GANNET far out from the pier.  On the jetty 80 RUDDY TURNSTONES were present with 15 SANDERLINGS. (No Purple Sandpipers, though).  An EASTERN BLUEBIRD was heard, as was a PRAIRIE WARBLER.
  Later that morning I went inland to a place I had worked several years ago; Reflections of Nature Plant Nursery in Yulee.  Not a lot of species present.  A few included two (2) BROWN THRASHERS, a few CHIPPING SPARROWS, and a male RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD.
  I also visited the newly constructed John Muir Ecological Park which is basically a boardwalk through the Loblolly Pine.  Species were pretty common with RED-EYED VIREO and RED-SHOULDERED HAWK to name a couple.
  I then headed far south to Cary State Forest near Bryceville where I added a couple new species to my trip list.  Birds included
-2 White-eyed Vireo
-1 Pileated Woodpecker
-7 Common Yellowthroat
-2 Carolina Chickadee
-4 Brown-headed Nuthatch
-2 Great-crested Flycatcher
-2 Downy Woodpecker
-3 Tufted Titmouse
-2 Eastern Towhee
-1 Bachman's Sparrow (only BASP heard)

 I then proceeded to the far north of Nassau County near Bolougne and the St. Mary's River Fish Camp.  Apparently the Swallow-tailed Kites had not yet been spotted.  I did however have a couple of singing PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS, PINE WARBLERS, and a few CHIPPING SPARROWS.  In the same general area in Ralph E. Simmons State Forest I added a pair of AM. KESTRELS.
  The evening was once again spent at Ft. Clinch where I spotted three (3) PALM WARBLERS.  A BARRED OWL was heard calling during the late evening.
  I awoke 4/03 at around 5:00am to the song of a distant CHUCK-WILL'S WIDOW.  Upon driving out of the park I heard many more RED-EYED VIREOS than I had the previous mornings.  GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHERS were also calling.  I heard a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER as well.  My ears also picked up the tune of a male HERMIT THRUSH in full song.  I don't think I've ever heard this song in Florida.
  During the late morning we headed to Northern Duval County headed for Kayak Amelia to do some paddling in the saltmarshes.  Some additonal species during our kayak trip included..
-2 Spotted Sandpiper
-Least Sandpiper (several)
-Semipalmated Sandpiper (many with the LESAs.  Dingier and more hunched over (top heavy) than Western)
-15 Black-bellied Plover (basic plumage).

  Later while eating lunch in Fernandina with friends I heard and then spotted a handful of CHIMNEY SWIFTS.

Our last day in Nassau Co. was 4/04. During the morning I heard an OVENBIRD attempting to sing while packing up camp (I was packing up camp, not the Ovenbird).

Good birding.

Justin Rink
Midtown Omaha, Douglas Co., NE
formerly: Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach, Nassau Co., FL