Today at Tomoka State Park things were just a little slow at first then I noted awarbler high-tailing it for the trees from the river.  Then bunches arrived: mostly male and female redstarts, the first female Black-throated Blues along with more males, Common Yellowthroats, and Blackpolls.  Lots!  I caught 7 birds but none included the Blackpolls...today.  Had a female the other day.

Two years ago on May 15 during the Spring Migration Survey I had a HUGE fallout of Blackpolls and American Redstarts.  The trees were dripping with them.  I went the next day expecting to band tons of birds.  They were gone, totally.  So, don't know how long they will hang around but every bird I caught had not one ounce of gat on them so hopefully they will hang around and fatten up over the next couple of days.  Otherwise, look out Guana and Washington Oaks.

On the marsh I had one group of Bobolinks, about 30, another group of Indigo Buntings, maybe 20-30, a huge group of Barn Swallows, 100+ flying very close to the plants over the marsh.  One falcon in the distance so couldn't quite tell species.  And a group of 3 Spotted Sandpipers landed on the shoreline right next to the dock I was on watching all the marsh activity.

Winds were 15-20 pretty dteadily sometimes gusting to 25-30.  I love "cold fronts"!

Meret S Wilson
Ormond Beach, FL
TBBS, Tomoka State Park