Hey everyone,
I hit my usual migration spots today.  I arrived at Leu around 9 AM and I left around noon.  Then I was at Mead until 2.  The weather couldn't have been better; it was a perfect day to be outside!  The birding was pretty good, too.  As I have been following migration here in the middle of the peninsula, it seemed pretty typical of how the season has been so far: slow, but not dead.  I haven't been out birding and found no migrants as some folks have in recent weeks.  Still, I have yet to see a thrush, Scarlet Tanager, Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, migrant flycatcher or either oriole this year as folks in the Western Panhandle have been getting over the past few days.  I guess I'll have to wait until fall for a lot of those guys?
There was a lot of baby action today that I'll try to highlight in my list.  HOWEVER, today's most dramatic event was seeing a Red-Tailed Hawk catch a male Wood Duck on somebody's lakefront backyard lawn.  I was watching the group of five Wood Ducks from the lake deck at Leu, along with a Limpkin who was foraging on the shoreline in front of them, and then BAM!  The hawk came out of nowhere and everyone scattered, except of course for the one who wasn't quick enough.  The hawk sat there struggling with his catch for several minutes, and then began feeding on the breast meat in the middle of the lawn (by this point causing quite a stir for the local Red-Shouldered Hawks, Fish Crows and Common and Boat-Tailed Grackles who began to dive-bomb).  When I left, the hawk was interspersing a few bites with watching the sky for several moments.  I never know quite what to think about the predator-prey thing.  I always feel a little bad for the guy who got caught and died, but I'm glad the catcher gets to eat.  Of course, I never think twice about birds catching bugs, or an Osprey catching a fish, which is basically the same thing, right? Maybe I should feel a little bad for the bugs and fish, too?  I digress...
Wood DuckMallardBrown Pelican (1, Leu)Double-Crested CormorantAnhingaGreat Blue HeronGreat EgretWhite IbisWood Stork (1, Leu)Black VultureTurkey VultureOspreyRed-Shouldered HawkRed-Tailed HawkLimpkin (1, Leu)White-Winged Dove (1, Leu)Mourning Dove (parents feeding newly-fledged chicks)Barred Owl (2, Leu - an adult delivered a rat to its fledged young; 1, Mead)Chimney SwiftRed-Bellied WoodpeckerDowny Woodpecker (a pair mating at Mead)Pileated WoodpeckerGreat-Crested FlycatcherYellow-Throated Vireo (3, Mead - including an adult feeding its fledged chick)Blue Jay (a nest full of 4 about-to-fledge little guys at Leu!  VERY CUTE!)Fish CrowPurple MartinTufted Titmouse (adults feeding fledged young)Carolina Wren (adults feeding fledged young)Blue-Gray GnatcatcherGray Catbird (7-8 total for the day, most at Leu; not as many as last week for sure!)Northern MockingbirdBrown Thrasher (sitting on a nest at Leu)Cedar Waxwing (I saw about 10 fly over at Mead, but according to Marcus Sharpe, there were over 150 at Mead this morning)Northern Parula (adults feeding fledged young)Cape May Warbler (1 female, Leu; apparently a male at Mead this morning)Black-Throated Blue Warbler (3 males, 1 female, Leu; 1 female, Mead)Blackpoll Warbler (1 male, Leu; apparently a male at Mead this morning)Black-and-White Warbler (1, Leu)American Redstart (most common migrant today: 12-15, Leu; 7-8, Mead)Ovenbird (3, Leu)Common Yellowthroat (1, Leu; 1, Mead)Yellow-Breasted Chat (heard only at Mead)Northern Cardinal (newly fledged young out and about)Red-Winged BlackbirdCommon GrackleBoat-Tailed GrackleBrown-Headed CowbirdHouse Finch
Leu Gardens is located near the intersection of US 17/92 (Mills Ave.) and Virginia Ave. in downtown Orlando.  There is an entrance fee for non-members.  Mead Garden is near the intersection of US 17/92 (Orlando Ave.) and Orange Ave in Winter Park.  There is no entrance fee.  Both are in Orange County.
Good birding,
John ThomtonOrlando, Orange Co.