Dear Peter,
if you want to read something coming from a computer science point of
view on ONLINE social networks, you can read these papers:

- Backstrom et al. (2010) "Find me if you can: improving geographical
prediction with social and spatial proximity"
(http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1772698)
- Scellato et al. (2010) "Distance matters: geo-social metrics for
online social networks"
(http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1863198)

We have also an upcoming paper to be presented at ICWSM 2011:
"Socio-spatial Properties of Online Location-based Social Networks".
It's not available online yet, but I have a link on my webpage.

Good luck with your research.

--
Salvatore Scellato - Ph.D. Student
Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge