Dear Socnetters:

I am seeking citations of scholarly articles (or scholarly book chapters)
related to the following network-oriented  area of study. I request your
assistance in identifying published work, if any.

Warning: This is not an SNA project, strictly speaking. I think a number of you
may find the topic interesting, though.

In particular, I am looking at the determinants of whether a social network
website sets members up for directed versus bidirectional ties.

Our dependent variable of interest is binary: =0 if site allows free
bidirectional ties between members (e.g., facebook), and =1 if site only permits
directed ties (one-way only, e.g., Twitter), or if site charges a fee for
bidirectional ties.

Our independent variables of interest are various site attributes (e.g. average
time spent on site, size of firm). We are not using network data, but the
dependent variable is network-design-related. We want to look at what drives
site designers/entrepreneurs to make the choice of directionality of ties.

Thanks for any citations you can point my way on this. Cites not in the realm of
"internet-based social network sites" are fine. We are interested in both theory
and empirical work.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

-Bruce Heiman
 -----Contact-----------------------------------
Bruce Heiman, Associate Professor
International Business Dept.
San Francisco State University
Visiting Associate Prof., UC Berkeley, Spring 2011

email:  [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
post:   1600 Holloway Ave. San Francisco, CA 94132
tel:      ..+1.650.575.8220 (m),
..+1.415.405.0596 (o)
..+1.650.856.0925 (h, fax)
  IBEC on the Web-- http://ibec-info.org/