The short answer is to consider something like Gephi, an open-source and
multi-platform SNA package. I'm not a fan of its usability/workflow, but
it's impossible to not acknowledge its extensibility and ability to tweak.
I'm not aware of an off-the-shelf algorithm that does spring embedding
layouts based on tie strengths, but that's not to say that there isn't or
couldn't be one.

Have you considered dichotomizing your network at a meaningful threshold to
reveal the structures among nodes with stronger ties?

--
Brian C. Keegan
Ph.D. Student - Media, Technology, & Society

Science of Networks in Communities, Laboratory for Collaborative Technology