Dear all,

my name is Michael Haenlein and I am Associate Professor of Marketing at the
business school ESCP Europe in Paris, France.

I am currently working on a research paper that investigates social
influences in customer retention. Specifically, I'm using data from a
telecommunications company to analyze whether customers are more likely to
cancel their contract when one (or several) of their friends have canceled
their contracts recently. One characteristic of my analysis is that I work
with a directed network since I can differentiate between incoming calls
(i.e., A calls B) and outgoing calls (i.e., B calls A).

I know that social influence in acquisition and retention has previously
been studied extensively. Yet, most studies I am aware off work with
undirected networks. To better position my work, I would like to refer to
prior literature that has shown that analyzing undirected networks can lead
to a bias when the underlying network is actually directed.

Is anyone aware of a study that has, for example, replicated a previous
analysis that was based on undirected networks with directed networks and
came to different conclusions? Or is there any other work I can refer to in
order to prove my point that moving from directed to undirected can have a
significant impact on results?

Thanks very much for your help in advance,

Regards,

Michael

Michael Haenlein
Associate Professor of Marketing