<<<-------- Andrei Boutyline-------->>>

> Dear all,
>
> I'm hoping somebody can point me to a good tool for laying out and
> plotting
> weighted networks.  In my data, every node is connect to every other node,
> albeit with different tie strengths. So, a layout algorithm that doesn't
> take weights into account will just give me a ball of nodes.  Is there a
> library for R or Python that can produce a more meaningful layout from
> such
> data?  Or, in the absence of a library, is there a standalone program?
>
> (By the way, the total number of nodes in my network under 150.)

  In your case to get a readable picture I would suggest you to use
  a matrix display with ordering of nodes determined by clustering
  or blockmodeling.

  In Pajek you can produce it (in EPS) using
     File/Network/Export matrix to EPS

  In Python or R it is not too difficult to program it (a matrix display)
  by yourself - it should be less than 30 lines of code.

  In R you can also try the functions image or color2D.matplot (from the
  package plotrix). Better displays you can get using ggplot2
  http://learnr.wordpress.com/2010/01/26/ggplot2-quick-heatmap-plotting/
  http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/9050/how-to-display-a-matrix-of-correlations-with-missing-entries

  In Python see the matplotlib - for example:
  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/matshow.html
  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/pcolor_small.html
  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/api/image_zcoord.html
  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/plot_directive/mpl_examples/pylab_examples/colorbar_tick_labelling_demo.py
  or
  http://people.csail.mit.edu/rasmus/summon/index.shtml
  Vlado
--
Vladimir Batagelj, University of Ljubljana, FMF, Department of Mathematics
  Jadranska 19, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia