Peter,

We developed metrics to examine theoretical and empirical radii as well as
bias in edge length in geographic networks. The empirical case in this study
involved personal networks involving help/support after Hurricane Katrina.

Rychtar, J, EC Jones, RL Bunch, R Gove. 2010. Calculating Edge Length Bias
and the Relative Size of a ‘Neighborhood’ in Spatial Social Networks. *Far
East Journal of Applied Mathematics* 39(1):53-69*.

*Best, Eric

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:28, Salvatore Scellato <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Peter,
> if you want to read something coming from a computer science point of
> view on ONLINE social networks, you can read these papers:
>
> - Backstrom et al. (2010) "Find me if you can: improving geographical
> prediction with social and spatial proximity"
> (http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1772698)
> - Scellato et al. (2010) "Distance matters: geo-social metrics for
> online social networks"
> (http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1863198)
>
> We have also an upcoming paper to be presented at ICWSM 2011:
> "Socio-spatial Properties of Online Location-based Social Networks".
> It's not available online yet, but I have a link on my webpage.
>
> Good luck with your research.
>
> --
> Salvatore Scellato - Ph.D. Student
> Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
> Web: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~ss824/

Eric C Jones
UNCG Department of Anthropology
1003 Spring Garden St, 426 Graham Bldg