All

I think Filipís suggestions are quite helpful and at the same time Jorgeís
frustrations understandable.  The problem is some people will be quite
concerned about network dependencies and the challenges with specifying
network effects whereas others will be content to focus on behaviors and
policy interpretations of these types of influences.  (Somewhat like the
balance between Type I and Type II error.)  And the researcher wishes to ďdo
the right thing.Ē  We/I have opted to do both, node level regressions using
somewhat standard multi-level (or hierarchical) regression techniques and,
when possible, build models using STATNET and SIENA.  So far the results are
fairly consistent with different approaches yielding different but not
contradictory insights.  An example is our paper on the adoption/diffusion
of the FCTC:

Wipfli, H., Fujimoto, K., & Valente, T. W. (2010).  Global tobacco control
diffusion: The case of the framework convention on tobacco control. American
Journal of Public Health, 100, 1260-1266.

So there is no right answer and no single approach that covers all
situations.  The researcher will need to pursue at least 2 and sometimes
multiple modeling approaches to be confident the findings are consistent
across multiple specifications.

-Tom

Thomas W. Valente, PhD

Current:  …cole des hautes ťtudes en santť publique (Rennes/Paris, France)

Usual:

http://www.usc.edu/medicine/mph/

Professor, Department of Preventive Medicine

Keck School of Medicine

University of Southern California

1000 S. Fremont Ave., #8

Building A Room 5133

Alhambra CA 91803

phone: (626) 457-4139; cell: (626) 429-4123

email: [log in to unmask]

Social Networks and Health: Models, Methods, and Applications:

       http://www.oup.com/us (promo code: 28569)

Evaluating Health Promotion Programs: www.oup-usa.org/

Network Models of the Diffusion of Innovations: www.hamptonpress.com

My personal webpage: http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/

The Empirical Networks Project:  <http://ipr1.hsc.usc.edu/networks/>
http://ipr1.hsc.usc.edu/networks/

You Tube video on Diffusion of Innovations:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG9dAIBd4xQ>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG9dAIBd4xQ