  From: John T. Maloney (jheuristic)<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 9:49 AM
  Subject: [SOCNET] Driver Nodes

  *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org<http://www.insna.org/>  *****

  Controllability of complex networks  (Yang-Yu Liu, Jean-Jacques Slotine, &
  Albert-László Barabási)

  The ultimate proof of our understanding of natural or technological systems
  is reflected in our ability to control them. Although control theory offers
  mathematical tools for steering engineered and natural systems towards a
  desired state, a framework to control complex self-organized systems is
  lacking. Here we develop analytical tools to study the controllability of an
  arbitrary complex directed network, identifying the set of driver nodes with
  time-dependent control that can guide the system's entire dynamics. We apply
  these tools to several real networks, finding that the number of driver
  nodes is determined mainly by the network's degree distribution. We show
  that sparse inhomogeneous networks, which emerge in many real complex
  systems, are the most difficult to control, but that dense and homogeneous
  networks can be controlled using a few driver nodes. Counterintuitively, we
  find that in both model and real systems the driver nodes tend to avoid the
  high-degree nodes.

  http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v473/n7346/full/nature10011.html<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v473/n7346/full/nature10011.html>

  -j
  John Maloney