***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** The short answer is to consider something like Gephi, an open-source and multi-platform SNA package. I'm not a fan of its usability/workflow, but it's impossible to not acknowledge its extensibility and ability to tweak. I'm not aware of an off-the-shelf algorithm that does spring embedding layouts based on tie strengths, but that's not to say that there isn't or couldn't be one.

Have you considered dichotomizing your network at a meaningful threshold to reveal the structures among nodes with stronger ties?