Dear Colleagues,

The sociological problem is as follows. Two individuals sometimes work
together on project teams. At one extreme, they always work together on the
same teams; thus, the k1 neighbors in their ego networks are, except for
each other, identical. At the other extreme, they work together only once,
on one particular team; thus, the k1 neighbors in their ego networks differ.
But how much do they differ. I am proposing to explore this issue using
Jaccard coefficients to quantify the overlap between ego networks. I find
myself in a situation I often encounter; I am working out a hack using
Filemaker Pro, where my data is stored, and Pajek, which is my go-to tool
for network analysis. I suspect that I am reinventing a wheel that already
exists or unaware of a better approach to the basic problemócomparing the
overlaps in pairs of networks.

I would be very grateful, indeed, for helpful advice.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN