***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Dear Colleagues,

The sociological problem is as follows. Two individuals sometimes work together on project teams. At one extreme, they always work together on the same teams; thus, the k1 neighbors in their ego networks are, except for each other, identical. At the other extreme, they work together only once, on one particular team; thus, the k1 neighbors in their ego networks differ. But how much do they differ. I am proposing to explore this issue using Jaccard coefficients to quantify the overlap between ego networks. I find myself in a situation I often encounter; I am working out a hack using Filemaker Pro, where my data is stored, and Pajek, which is my go-to tool for network analysis. I suspect that I am reinventing a wheel that already exists or unaware of a better approach to the basic problemócomparing the overlaps in pairs of networks.

I would be very grateful, indeed, for helpful advice.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN