I had a similar problem with a client earlier in the season. He tested the oaks; roots along with stems, trunk and leaf samples and the University did not find anything. The problem was thought to be cold damage.

-----Original Message-----
From: South Central Green Team Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Haddock,Susan R
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: oak tree problem

I have a client who emailed similar photos of oaks, but not quite as severe as yours. Random total death of branches in established canopies. Researching I though it looked like Oak Wilt, however, UF says that is not in FL yet. Maybe it is now. He's bringing me sample next week for diagnostics. I'll appreciated any input on this issue too.

Susan Haddock
Commercial Hort/IPM/Small Farms Agent
Hillsborough County Extension
UF/IFAS