Hey everyone,
I promise this is my last post for the evening!  I just thought since today was June 15'th, I'd give an update on the June Challege situation so far in Orange County.  I've managed to see 92 species thus far, which I'm pretty pleased with!  Again, considering I don't have a coast to bird on and I don't have access to the Lake Apopka RA, I don't think that's too bad.  Last year, my total for the month was 95 species, and this year so far I already have 5 birds that I missed in 2010.  We'll see what happens in the rest of the month!
Isn't it funny how you seem to get kind of desperate for a new bird?  Around every turn, there may be that 93'rd species!  In one instance this month, that mindset has led me to a very embarrassing mis-ID:
Last week, I was birding in the pasture areas northwest of Orlando Wetlands, when I pulled over to scan a large open area.  As usual, I was enjoying the view and the birds, but that nagging hope for something new was at the forefront of my brain.  A little distance from me was a clump of taller, marshy vegetation surrounded by the lawn-height pasture.  As I was panning with my bins, I was delighted to spot an American Kestrel perched on top of a small, dead woody stem that stuck up just above the vegetation.  Sweet, I thought.  That's a good new one that I missed last year.  I thought most of the SE Kestrels bred in the western part of the peninsula.  Good find!  However, my delight turned to shame when the "kestrel" suddenly moved in an odd way, and I realized that my "kestrel" was, in fact, a Sandhill Crane head on top of its own neck!  It's bill was open, which for some reason made me think kestrel, even though kestrels aren't at all like the color of a Sandhill Crane head.  What can I say?  I love it when I'm brilliant like that...
Keep truckin' on that June Challenge everyone!  I love reading the posts about it!
Good birding,
John ThomtonOrlando, Orange Co.