Some subscribers to LRNASST-L might be interested in a
discussion-list post "Re: Limits to Growth" [Hake (2011)].

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: SClistserv's Michael Beverley (2011) in his post "Limits to
Growth" wrote (paraphrasing) "Does anyone recall a discussion
concerning the book 'Limits to Growth' on the listserve?"

Rick Kubina responded by giving references to Meadows et al. (1972,
2004) and to the UTube video of Albert Bartlett's incisive discussion
of "Arithmetic, Population, and Energy" at
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY> - as of 12 August 2011
10:24-0700 observed 2,894,868 times!

I give 8 references to the work of Donella and Dennis Meadows
[including Meadows et al. (1972, 2004)] that were derived from:

(a) "Over Two-Hundred Annotated References on Systems Thinking" [Hake
(2009a) at <http://bit.ly/9gZdXU>];

(b) "Misconceptions in the Population/Energy Debate #2" [Hake (2009b)
at <http://bit.ly/qeG9bs>]; and

(c) 10 posts of mine containing the word "Meadows" on the OPEN!
AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/cuxhel>.

I then contrast the rosy outlook on the future of SClistserv's
Michael Lamport Commons (2011) of the Harvard Medical School with the
less sanguine predictions of Dennis Meadows - see the signature quote.

To access the complete 17 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/oO3oMk>.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
        Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"The global society, and particularly the US, is like a small
boatload of people about to enter a long stretch of white water and
rapids. For the foreseeable future we will be totally preoccupied
with immediate problems and far too distracted to develop and
implement a rational long term plan. Eventually, after climate
change, fossil fuel depletion, and several other manifestations of
the growth limits have produced some new sort of semi stable state,
with a MUCH lower population and material standard of living, our
species will hopefully be able to start identifying, choosing, and
pursuing its longer term options. I do not expect to be alive when
that time comes."
           Dennis Meadows, private communication of 17 November
          2009 to R.R. Hake, quoted by permission.

REFERENCES [URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 12
August 2011.]
Hake, R.R. 2011. "Re: Limits to Growth,"  online on the OPEN! AERA-L
archives at <http://bit.ly/oO3oMk>. Post of 12 Aug 2011 11:43:23-0700
to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post
are being transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my
blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/ndIHEA> with a provision for
comments.