Hi Leonard,

I have the student meet with the instructor whose course s/he wants to
tutor.  The instructor can assess more quickly and easily whether the
student can tutor the course based on the "interview" and applicant's grade
for a comparable course at another institution.

In the case of math, applicants will see an instructor at the calculus level
who will sign off on lower level classes if appropriate.

I do not hire first semester freshmen so that takes care of that element.

Hope this is helpful!

Karin

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Geddes, Leonard G.
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> What policy do you all have regarding freshmen and transfer tutors?
>  Specifically, I am interested in finding out how you handle students who
> have the qualifications to tutor, but have not taken the course in which
> they would like to tutor at the current institution.
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Leonard Geddes
> Associate Dean of Co-curricular Programs
> Coordinator of the Learning Commons
> (828) 328-7024
> (828) 328-7274 (fax)
> www.lr.edu