I have to strongly agree with Diana.  The automatic lumping together of DE
and Learning Assistance has bothered me for years.  In fact, at two
institutions where I worked in the past, we did not have DE programs
linked to any kind of learning assistance programs.  The DE programs were
either a separate department and some of their students made it my way or
there simply was not any DE available at all.  While DE and LA have strong
linkages, they are not the same fields.

My doctorate is from Indiana University- Bloomington in Language Education
(now the Department of Literacy, Culture, and Language Education).  The
name of the department was problematic because everyone assumes that I
studied languages/teaching languages.  I didn't focus on language
learning/teaching (although I did get TESOL certification). I was able to
make my degree work for me so that I took higher ed admin classes, adult
learning and development, and other course work that allowed me to focus
my doctoral research on first-generation minority women's narratives about
their college experiences and developed a framework for success in their
college careers.

My point, there are many doctoral programs out there that can be adapted
to fit your needs, but like Diana, let's not always get DE and LA lumped
together. There are many places like IU (
http://education.indiana.edu/Default.aspx?alias=education.indiana.edu/langed
) and National Louis (http://nlu.nl.edu/graduate/doctoral.cfm) that allow
for a learning assistance focus.  I would check out the programs and
universities that supported the learning assistance focused dissertations
listed on the LSCHE: Dissertations & Theses page (
http://www.crla.net/lsche/resources/dissertation.htm) as a source for
possible programs.

Lisa
Lisa D'Adamo-Weinstein, Ph.D.
Director of Academic Support
SUNY Empire State College - Northeast Center
21 British American Boulevard
Latham, NY 12110
tel. (518) 783-6203 Ext. 5939
fax. (518) 783-6443