Hi Frank,
I'd like to get your opinion on whether there is "confusion" or
disagreement about what these
terms mean. Framing the issue as confusion assumes there is high
consensus and divergence
from it is in error, while disagreement suggests different approaches,
commitments and ways of
thinking about what we do. If I take the distinction between
"remedial" and "developmental" as an
analogy, I think it is possible that there is BOTH confusion and
disagreement. Disagreement can
signal the health--or at least typical development of a field--in a
way that confusion probably does
not.

In any case, given the youth of these fields I think we should expect
low consensus on a number
of issues. Education, as a discipline more generally, is a low-
consensus field, so it's not surprising
that there are differing opinions about terminology both within and
between DE and LA.

Here is a nice little introduction to disciplinary theory with a good
set of references which might
be illuminating. Since so many of us work across disciplinary
boundaries in both DE and LA,
I think this is a worthwhile topic to explore. I've read some Biglan
and Becher as well as Kuhn
and Light and can recommend them all. Kolb is also represented in the