Hi, Nic,

When I clicked on the link you provided, I was surprised to see under
the title

<http://www.google.com/url?ct=abg&q=https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/request.py%3Fcontact%3Dabg_afc%26url%3Dhttp://www.answers.com/topic/academic-disciplines%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dca-gurunet_js%26adU%3DCatchHimAndKeepHim.com%26adT%3DWhat%2BAttracts%2BMen%26adU%3Dgoto.Everest.edu%26adT%3DX-Ray%2BTech%2BTraining%26adU%3DWaldenU.edu%26adT%3DBachelor%2526%252339%253Bs%2BDegree%2BOnline%26adU%3Dwww.eLearners.com/Chaplaincy%26adT%3DOnline%2BChaplain%2BProgram%26adU%3Dwww.DegreeSearch.org%26adT%3DOnline%2BDegree%2BPrograms%26gl%3DUS%26hideleadgen%3D1&usg=AFQjCNHNlIdRYzQI4lJfACzsv-5OdDVwJw>
What Attracts Men
<http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=l&ai=BIpmBz_g_Tor5NYuusQfK8OHuB-O_qfEBo8vVqRvAjbcB4LYNEAEYASC2mIYDKAU4AFCj-YLLBGDJ9q2I9KO0EqABu9Pm_gOyAQ93d3cuYW5zd2Vycy5jb23IAQHaATFodHRwOi8vd3d3LmFuc3dlcnMuY29tL3RvcGljL2FjYWRlbWljLWRpc2NpcGxpbmVzgAIByAK7yOkWqAMB6AP9A-gDZegDmAn1AwAEAAA&num=1&sig=AOD64_3oacqGUf24KPlULZwpDg0S7Ybu3g&client=ca-gurunet_js&adurl=http://www.catchhimandkeephim.com/index.html%3Fs%3D60484>CatchHimAndKeepHim.com
<http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=l&ai=BIpmBz_g_Tor5NYuusQfK8OHuB-O_qfEBo8vVqRvAjbcB4LYNEAEYASC2mIYDKAU4AFCj-YLLBGDJ9q2I9KO0EqABu9Pm_gOyAQ93d3cuYW5zd2Vycy5jb23IAQHaATFodHRwOi8vd3d3LmFuc3dlcnMuY29tL3RvcGljL2FjYWRlbWljLWRpc2NpcGxpbmVzgAIByAK7yOkWqAMB6AP9A-gDZegDmAn1AwAEAAA&num=1&sig=AOD64_3oacqGUf24KPlULZwpDg0S7Ybu3g&client=ca-gurunet_js&adurl=http://www.catchhimandkeephim.com/index.html%3Fs%3D60484>
9 Ugly Mistakes Women Make That Men Find Totally Unattractive

My puzzlement disappeared when I noticed in small print on the right:
Ad. :-)

My question is about the reference to Table 1, which I did not find on
that page. Do you know where to look for it?

Thanks!
Lois

On 8/8/2011 10:32 AM, Nic Voge wrote:
> Hi Frank,
> I'd like to get your opinion on whether there is "confusion" or
> disagreement about what these
> terms mean. Framing the issue as confusion assumes there is high
> consensus and divergence
> from it is in error, while disagreement suggests different approaches,
> commitments and ways of
> thinking about what we do. If I take the distinction between
> "remedial" and "developmental" as an
> analogy, I think it is possible that there is BOTH confusion and
> disagreement. Disagreement can
> signal the health--or at least typical development of a field--in a
> way that confusion probably does
> not.
>
> In any case, given the youth of these fields I think we should expect
> low consensus on a number
> of issues. Education, as a discipline more generally, is a
> low-consensus field, so it's not surprising
> that there are differing opinions about terminology both within and
> between DE and LA.
>
> Here is a nice little introduction to disciplinary theory with a good
> set of references which might
> be illuminating. Since so many of us work across disciplinary
> boundaries in both DE and LA,
> I think this is a worthwhile topic to explore. I've read some Biglan
> and Becher as well as Kuhn
> and Light and can recommend them all. Kolb is also represented in the
> references.
> http://www.answers.com/topic/academic-disciplines
> Best,
> Nic
> On Aug 7, 2011, at 4:22 PM, FLC wrote:
>
>> Hi. I agree with Diana. There is confusion as the term, "learning
>> assistance" is used. You may want to review the section in LSCHE that
>> contains descriptions of terms relevant to both learning assistance and
>> developmental education, The URL is
>> http://www.lsche.net/aboutLSCs.htm. If
>> you know of any other definitions that ought to be in this LSCHE
>> section,
>> please email me with the definition along with its source (this
>> attribution
>> is important).  Collegially......
>>
>> Frank L Christ, Emeritus CSU Long Beach
>> LSCHE Content Editor: www.lsche.net
>> "If knowledge is power, shared knowledge is infinitely more powerful"
>> Raymond Smith, President and Chief Executive Officer of Bell Atlantic.

Lois Martin
Director, Academic Resource&  Writing Center
Goshen College
1700 South Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526
574-535-7576

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.