Let me see if I can explain more helpfully.

Perhaps for some DE is a discipline, not merely services. Since it is
a low-consensus field,
with lots of different ideas about what it is, some may see DE as
merely a type of course
or a "service". The article I linked to may not be sufficient to bring
anything useful to this question
(my apologies if that's the case), but I think asking whether there is
a disciplinary or paradigm
conflict at the root of these differing opinions is a useful question
to ask. My intention was to introduce
insights into disciplinary perspectives not only to this discussion
but to our work generally. I've found
this lens to be extremely useful in my thinking.

In my opinion DE, if not a discipline in its own right, reflects a
particular disciplinary perspective on
education that comes from developmental theory.

I don't see what's confusing about the sentence you highlight. Can you
explain?
Thanks,
Nic