A good place to find these incredible success stories are the four
year colleges and universities that receive DE students after they
transfer.
For instance, at UC Berkeley where I worked for many years (and most
of the other UCs) fully one-quarter of students are community college
transfer
students. Of this number, a portion started as DE students. I
personally have worked with students who started in community colleges
as DE students
and went on to graduate with honors at Berkeley. One who I worked very
closely with is starting his PhD at Yale any day now. Another is now in
investment banking on Wall Street. Quite a few were immigrants who
have amazing stories and have attained remarkable success.

Here's an example of a student who started out in what would be
considered "developmental math" (pre-calc) at Berkeley in our Summer
Bridge Program
and went on to be admitted into Berkeley's graduate math program--
literally one of the best in the world. Maria started out by using the
Learning Centers
services relentlessly, and then tirelessly delivering them. It's a
great story.
http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2010/05/12_martinez.shtml

Are there colleagues out there at four year institutions who know of
students with these kinds of stories?
On Aug 12, 2011, at 2:02 PM, Kathryn Van Wagoner wrote:

> This is an excellent example of what we need to be doing to advocate
> for DE.  Working with our college marketing departments, we should
> be putting out press releases in our communities.
>
> Do you have a good success story in one of your classes or learning
> centers?
>
> Kathryn Van Wagoner
> NADE Political Liason Co-chair
> Utah Valley University Math Lab