Leonard,

I tell transfer students that the professor must recommend or approve a
tutor for a course s/he teaches, and I suggest that the potential tutors
do two things: get a recommendation(s) from their previous supervisor(s)
of their tutoring and provide that when they go learn to know the
instructor and express their interest.

All tutors (regardless of having taken the course or not) are asked to
meet with the professor so that the tutor will be "on the same page" as
the instructor.

As a general rule, I do not hire freshmen to tutor.

Lois

On 8/26/2011 12:54 PM, Geddes, Leonard G. wrote:
> What policy do you all have regarding freshmen and transfer tutors?  Specifically, I am interested in finding out how you handle students who have the qualifications to tutor, but have not taken the course in which they would like to tutor at the current institution.
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Leonard Geddes
> Associate Dean of Co-curricular Programs
> Coordinator of the Learning Commons
> (828) 328-7024
> (828) 328-7274 (fax)
> www.lr.edu
> Do Something Great Today!

Lois Martin
Director, Academic Resource&  Writing Center
Goshen College
1700 South Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526
574-535-7576

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.