OK,  this response might also be interesting, b/cause she talks about
what your goals might be (something we're always saying to our students)
and that a doctorate in DE might be too restrictive.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Maher, Patricia
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2011 8:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Doctoral Programs in Learning/Academic Support

I will weigh in here to follow several others.  Before you select a
doctoral program be sure to think about how you might be able to "apply"
that degree.  Some degrees can limit you in your search for positions.
It's a big commitment and you want to gain the most from it.  That said,
if DE is your goal and you only ever envision yourself in DE, that's
fine.
 My degree is in Adult Education, where I studied many areas related to
academic support (including of course adult development and literacy)
and
where I was able to focus my research on any adult population I was
interested in, including college learning support.  This degree lead
easily into college learning support.  I also have a staff member with a
counseling background who is in the Higher Education Administration
doctoral program at our university.  Any of these fields of study can
lead
to learning assistance or other areas of Higher Ed, and in my case even
other areas outside of Higher Ed.  Our career center counsels students
first think about what they envision as their working world and then
investigate the degree fields that might lead them there. We also have a
College Student Affairs masters program and I hire many of them as
adjuncts once they are finished.  It is in our College of Education and
they take curriculum courses in their program and spend their 2 years in
on-campus GA position.  So that is yet another field that can lead here.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Patricia A. Maher, Ph. D.
Director, Tutoring and Learning Services
University of South Florida
4202 E. Fowler Ave.
Tampa, FL  33620
LIB 206
(813)974-5141

 <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

On 8/2/11 8:06 PM, "M Frenchie" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Sorry about that. I just wrote it off the top of my head and didn't
>research
>it...
>
>On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Hambrick, Doriss
>> wrote:
>
>> Oh, my goodness, Michelle. It's Texas State University - San Marcos -
>>NOT
>> The University of Texas-San Marcos. We get really touchy about that
;~)

>> Doriss Hambrick
>> Baylor University
>> Paul L. Foster Success Center
>> Sid Richardson Building, Office #036
>> Academic Support Programs
>> One Bear Place #97072
>> 254-710-3828 (office)
>> 254-710-3670 (fax)
>>  The Academically Successful Bear
>> Office Hours MON - 1:30pm - 4:30pm / TUE - 1:30pm - 3:00pm / WED -
>>1:30pm -
>> 4:30pm / THU - 1:30pm - 3:00pm / FRI - 8:30am - 10:00am

Univ.
>>of
>> Texas-San Marcos might be starting a program also.
>>
>> Michelle
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Marcia Vajner Marinelli
>> >wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all -
>> >
>> > I have a friend who is interested in doing what we all do and she
>> > wanted to know whether there are any doctoral programs in academic
>> > support.  I know that many of us come from very diverse academic
>> > backgrounds but I'm not familiar with any specific doctoral
programs
>>that
>> focus on academic support.
>> >  Does anyone on the list know of any such program?
>> >
>> > As always, thanks for the information!
>> >
>> > Marcy
>> >

>> > Marcy Marinelli, Ph.D., NCC
>> > Assistant Director - University of Maryland Counseling Center
Learning
>> > Assistance Service Affiliate Assistant Professor - Department of
>> > Counseling & Personnel Services 2202A Shoemaker Bldg.
>> > University of Maryland
>> > College Park, MD  20742
>> > 301-314-7680
>> > 301-314-9206 (fax)
>> >
>> > www.counseling.umd.edu/LAS
>> >
>> > Did you know -- You can now schedule appointments online with LAS!
>> > Visit https://lasonline.umd.edu<https://lasonline.umd.edu/>

>> > ***********************************
>> > Disclaimer:  This message is intended for the use of the addressee
and
>> > may contain information that is privileged and confidential and may
be
>> > subject to confidentiality privileges and protections.  If you are
not
>> > the intended addressee, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any
>> > other dissemination of this message or any attachment is strictly
>> > prohibited.  Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you
>> > have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from
your
>> system.

web
>> > browser to http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html
>> >
>> > To contact the LRNASST-L owner, email [log in to unmask]

web
>> browser to http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html

web
>> browser to