From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Paulson [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2011 8:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Doctoral Programs in Learning/Academic Support

This is an interesting discussion and thinking about the relationships among and between all these areas is useful; my concern at this point is that during this discussion we don’t marginalize developmental education as a field (or more importantly, the students it serves).  DE is increasing in its visibility and in the attention paid to it as a field--new graduate programs, new federal and state research-funding initiatives, work by Columbia University’s CCRC focused on DE, and so on.  And this focus on DE includes qualitative and quantitative research leading to theory-building as well as data-driven evidence for appropriate practices; these are signs of a rapidly expanding field, not a contracting field.

I think it’s worthwhile remembering that many of us view developmental education broadly and holistically, not narrowly; NADE’s perspective, for example is that developmental education “promotes the cognitive and affective growth of all postsecondary learners, at all levels of the learning continuum” (http://www.nade.net/AboutDevEd.html ). At any rate, I think the point folks were making when they responded with info about Texas State’s new program was that one of our three concentrations is Learning Support.  It seemed to be related to the question about specializations in doctoral programs that was posed earlier.
Eric Paulson

> Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 09:18:41 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Doctoral Programs in Learning/Academic Support
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> OK, this response might also be interesting, b/cause she talks about
> what your goals might be (something we're always saying to our students)
> and that a doctorate in DE might be too restrictive.

The information contained in this e-mail message is PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the use of the addressee and no one else.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute, reproduce or use this e-mail message (or the attachments).  Please delete the original and notify the sender of the mistaken transmission.  Thank you.