From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Saundra Y McGuire [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2011 11:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Doctoral Programs in Learning/Academic Support

Thanks so much for clarifying this, Diana.  I don't think anyone in the
learning center community is trying to marginalize DE (certainly not the
folks who contribute to this listserv), but the reality is that a huge
number of institutions (and not just in the Ivy League) want to avoid
any association with DE.   In fact, the prevailing view of DE in many
places is somewhat similar to the idea that many faculty have about
learning centers -- the programs/courses exist for students who should
never have been admitted to the institution in the first place.  (I
could write a book on my discussions with faculty about THIS
misconception!)

I think the real challenge for us in the LC community is to make sure
that everyone understands the holistic definition of DE as promoting
"the cognitive and affective growth of all postsecondary learners, at
all levels of the learning continuum".  This is certainly not how DE is
viewed in the larger academic community.  So I guess we should figure
out how to get this view more widely embraced.

Back to the salt mines of report writing (UGH!)
Saundra

Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.

Assistant Vice Chancellor for Learning, Teaching, and Retention

Professor, Department of Chemistry

135A T Boyd Hall

Louisiana State University

Baton Rouge, LA 70803