Date:    Thu, 4 Aug 2011 08:07:01 -0400
From:    Nic Voge <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Doctoral Programs in Learning/Academic Support

I have a question for the group which was raised by this discussion.
I gain from Developmental Education a grounding in developmental theory and see it applied in a relevant context.I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to
learning center/academic support/learning assistance theory? I've seen a little of this kind of scholarship with respect to writing centers but not learning centers per se. Any leads would be appreciated.

I'm  currently working on articulating a theory (in addition to a mission and strategic plan) to guide our center.I'm trying to articulate a fundamental way of thinking about what we do which in some cases merely reveals the assumptions inherent in the design of centers
and their services, and in some cases challenges these tacit notions. In short, I'm asking what,from a particular theoretical perspective, does a learning center do? What is its function; what and what could it be?

At the moment, I'm borrowing some ideas from organizational theory to conceptualize my center and explore these questions. But, I'd like to see some other approaches.
Thanks,
Nic