From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Valkenburg, James - Staff <[log in to unmask]> [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2011 7:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Recommendations for Student-Centered Learning Texts

Cora Dzubak and I authored "The Engaged Mind: Cognitive Skills and Learning."  We did extensive research and offer a variety of theories and practical applications for studying and learning.

We follow Bloom's Taxonomy as an outline, but  go beyond Bloom to bring home suggestions for better learning.

We published in December 2009.  Google the engaged mind and take a look inside.

I think it is a good book, but I wrote the darn thing.  However, it exemplifies synthsis throughout the text and gives specific steps for actively processing information.

Jim