I find that certain academic depts and certain professors w/in each have their own preferences.  Our faculty had been used  to a WAC writing center for more than ten years, so when I started content tutoring, some wanted tutoring for those upper-level courses they were already sending their students to the WC for.

Other profs, some in the sciences, wanted tutoring only for major courses, to help them through gateway courses.  Ten+ years later, we help students in Gen Ed and in major courses.

99 % of my tutors come from Fac recommendations, and with them, sometimes, come requests for their help in upper level courses in the major.

We are a peer program, with a few grad students in one or another role--from our Master's in Liberal Studies program.  The rest of the 70+ are undergraduates.

A few of mine are both content tutors and writing consultants, which entails extra training for them.

Susie

Susie Robertshaw
Tutoring and Writing Coordinator
1000 Holt Ave. 2613