Shevawn, Eastern put together a taskforce last spring to deal with the
basic skills test because we saw a drop in scores with the new cut scores
as well.  We brought together faculty and administrators from the College
of Education, people from the Writing Center, Reading Center, math
department, and Student Success Center.  We divided the work somewhat, but
also worked together.  We had a series of workshops on a Saturday about 2
weeks before the exam on things like test-taking skills, test anxiety, and
then the separate tests--math did one on the math portion, etc.  We also
had tutoring/prep sessions across campus.  So, we bought Merit software to
help students work on the language arts and reading sections.  We put this
software in the Reading Center, the testing lab by the Student Success
Center, and in a student lab in the Education building.  The Writing
Center and Math tutors worked with students on those issues.  So, we
spread it around and worked through the Assoc. Dean of the College of
Education to coordinate everything.  We put together information that we
passed out to incoming freshmen during orientation about taking the test
early, too.  We had some local high school students come in over the
summer to work through the software.

By the way, cost was shared between the Student Success Center and the
College of Education for the software.

Karla

Karla J. Sanders, Ph.D., Executive Director
Center for Academic Support & Assessment (CASA)
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Ave.
Charleston, IL  61920
www.eiu.edu/~assess